SLIDER

Recipe: Dark Chocolate Raspberry Brownies



Are you guys familiar with Trish over at Rhubarbarians? Before Rhubarbarians, there was her first blog, Jellybones, where you can still read all the old posts and there are some pretty awesome recipes.

When Jellybones was still Jellybones, Trish was doing a "request something and I'll try to find it and create it" thing. I requested "a healthy-ish brownie."

Yeah, there is no such thing as a healthy-ish brownie that doesn't taste like dirt and wheat germ, etc.

But Trish did create an amazing recipe, and I was excited to try it out. You should, too.

Here is the recipe I did (slightly altered from hers). You'll want to check the link to the recipe above for the full instructions.

1 stick real butter
1 C. frozen raspberries, thawed (measure is for thawed amount)
1/3 C. Nestle 53% Cocoa Dark Chocolate Morsels 

2 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 Cup granulated Splenda 

1 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 C. Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt


The major differences are thus: 
Trish used 1 & 1/2 C. fresh blueberries, compared to my using 1 C. frozen raspberries
Trish notes "raw cocoa powder" and I don't actually know if that's different from basic baking cocoa or not.
I replaced the sugar with splenda.
I used 1/3 C. chocolate chips instead of the 1/8 the original recipe calls for.

So, I totally forgot to take pictures of the preparation process.
I like to use Reynolds Release - one of the world's best inventions!



Fresh out of the oven.

Let me just say that I haven't mastered the art of taking food pics yet. 
Trish's are A LOT better!




I have made these once before with blueberries and semi-sweet chocolate chips, and this time with raspberries and dark chocolate chips - both combinations worked well. There are still a few tweaks I would make. I think next time I'd like to add the full cup and a half of berries that Trish's recipe calls for. I also think it might be a good idea to just melt the butter and chocolate chips and add the berries separately at the very end of the recipe to prevent so much breakdown and allow bigger berry chunks. Finally, I am curious to experiment with almond flour instead of all-purpose, but I have no experience with almond flour, so I'm not sure.

Obviously they taste a little different than your traditional brownie, so that first bite is like "what is happening in my mouth?" but then you take another bite and it's all good and you can really notice the flavors.

Try it out - and if anyone knows anything about almond flour, let me know.


No comments

Post a Comment


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.