SLIDER

First World Problems - My Hair is a Pain in the Ass

~ I've noticed that my hair has become...well...more difficult than normal. I think I am going through one of those 7-year shifts people talk about, how your body changes. Over the course of the past year or so, my hair has gone from a constant state of desert dry and frizzy to being a stringy mess. Oily roots, dull color, and ends so dry they make me fantasize about using some sort of wrinkle filler cream or getting collagen injections for my hair.

Things I have done, attempting to reclaim the health of my hair: 
- Regular home trims (yes, I know - but with professional stylist scissors and just trimming the ends).
- Skipping washes for the whole "natural oil production" thing.
- Washing every single day. 
- Not brushing but using only a wide-tooth comb.
- Avoiding all products.
- Using products to add softness and moisture.
- Blow drying an average of 3-4 times a week.
- Avoiding the blow dryer (and all heat tools) completely.
- I did use a Tbsp. of baking soda once and it made a lovely shampoo, but then I read contradictory reports (some say it's the best no-poo ever and other reports say it rips the cuticle apart and shouldn't be used regularly, so...*shrug.)

(Some) of the products I have used in my attempt to find a nice balance:
- Shampoo & Conditioner in 1 products
Dove (various combinations; color care shampoo with intensive repair conditioner, etc.) 
- Nearly every line of Herbal Essences in existence. (Incidentally, the Touchably Smooth line worked fantastically - too bad I am wicked allergic to the scent and it gives me migraines. 
- Various formulas of Loreal Ever Whatever  and the problem with those is also perfume sensitivity that causes migraines. 
Yes to Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner (which might've been a contender if it wasn't for the fact that Dear God, getting the conditioner out of the bottle requires superhuman strength. 
Yes to Carrots Scalp Relief - The shampoo is nice but too drying for every day and the conditioner is nowhere near strong enough.
Burt's Bees Super Shiny Collection - Meh. 
Nature's Gate - Too drying.

Does anyone else out there struggle with problematically combination or stringy hair? What do you guys use? What do you love and what do you loathe?

No comments

Post a Comment


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.